Because of the massive price increase, many people who own bitcoin see it as an investment. Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, and other cryptocurrencies, on the other hand, are a viable way to pay for an ever-increasing number of products and services. We keep a comprehensive list of businesses that accept cryptocurrency organized into useful categories.
Bitcoin has come a long way since its early days, when there were few ways to spend it. The first commercial bitcoin transaction took place on May 22, 2010. 10,000 BTC was spent on two pizzas. This was not a transaction between a customer and a business; rather, one person traded 10,000 BTC for another. The pizzas were then purchased by the second person and delivered to the first person’s house. The occasion has been dubbed Bitcoin Pizza Day. You can find out how much those two pizzas are now worth by clicking here.
Today, there are numerous indications that Bitcoin has progressed from person-to-person pizza bartering to becoming a significant payment option. Twitter now accepts Bitcoin tips directly on the website.
You can now fund your PayPal purchases with cryptocurrency, which means that wherever PayPal is accepted, Bitcoin and a few other select cryptocurrencies are as well. Finally, if you happen to be in El Salvador, you should know that the country has become the first to accept Bitcoin as legal tender. There are already rumblings that other countries may follow suit.
How to Spend Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency
If you want to spend bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies, you’ll need a Bitcoin or Crypto “wallet” unless you have a Bitcoin or Crypto debit/credit card.
When it comes to wallets, there are numerous options available. We invite you to try out the simple Bitcoin.com Wallet. It accepts Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), Ethereum (ETH), and ERC-20 token payments wherever they are accepted.
When it comes to payment, if you’re paying in person, you’ll usually use your phone to scan a QR code from the merchant’s point-of-sale app. If you’re shopping online, simply choose Bitcoin (or another cryptocurrency, if applicable) as the payment method and follow the instructions.
Where can I spend my bitcoin and cryptocurrency?
The businesses listed below now accept Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. There are numerous others, and we encourage you to consult our constantly updated list. We also recommend using our interactive map to find businesses near you that accept Bitcoin (BTC), Bitcoin Cash (BCH), and Ethereum (ETH).
Although Amazon is conspicuously absent, there are numerous options for specific retail categories.
- Overstock: Overstock is a well-known e-commerce marketplace and an American internet retailer.
- Newegg is a computer hardware and consumer electronics online retailer.
- Shopify is a popular e-commerce platform for online stores and retail POS systems.
- Rakuten is a Japanese electronic commerce and online retailing company that has been dubbed the “Amazon of Japan.”
Travel and travel-related services are a cutthroat business. Accepting Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in business is a great way to set oneself apart from the competition. From a consumer standpoint, it is not only a great way to spend your cryptocurrency, but in some cases, you can also receive discounts and loyalty points.
- Expedia is one of the most well-known online travel agencies.
- Travala: This online travel company is crypto-first, accepting dozens of cryptocurrencies and offering an appealing loyalty points system to users. Travala can be accessed via the Discover tab in the Bitcoin.com Wallet.
- Virgin Galactic is now accepting bitcoin as payment for space tourism.
Given that the majority of gaming purchases are made digitally, it’s no surprise that there are Bitcoin and cryptocurrency options.
- Twitch is a live streaming platform with gaming roots.
- Bitcoin Casino: Provides provably fair gaming for cryptocurrency enthusiasts who enjoy high-stakes entertainment.
- Keys4Coins: Use cryptocurrency to purchase software, games, and gift cards (also integrated into the Bitcoin.com Wallet).
- Xbox: Use PayPal to pay for games, add-ons, and Xbox Live subscriptions, or purchase a Bitcoin.com gift card.
- Humble Bundle: A digital storefront that specializes in indie games and donates a portion of the proceeds to charity. PayPal is an option for payment.
Even if a retailer does not directly accept Bitcoin as a form of payment, you may be able to use gift cards purchased with Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies.
- Gift cards from Bitcoin.com: You can use Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash to purchase gift cards from a wide range of retailers, including Adidas and Xbox.
- Coingate: With many cryptocurrencies, you can purchase over 1000 different types of gift cards.
- Egifter: Select from a variety of cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash. Purchase and add gift cards to your shopping cart.
- CryptoRefills: In addition to a wide range of gift cards, you can use cryptocurrencies to recharge any prepaid mobile device.
Through the Bitcoin.com Wallet
The Bitcoin.com Wallet makes it simple to spend your cryptocurrency. The following items can be found in the app’s Discover section:
- An interactive map that allows you to find businesses in your area that accept Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, and Ethereum.
- A gift cards section where you can browse a long list of retailers.
- Integrations with services that accept cryptocurrency payments for travel, games, software, and more.